It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 pm

What is this I see? 

Post What is this I see?
R-rated games could get nod

Quote:
COMPUTER games such as BMX XXX and the ultra-violent Manhunt could be sold in Australia under possible changes to classification rules.

Games depicting high levels of sex or violence are refused classification in Australia, keeping them off the shelves.
But the Rudd Government is examining whether to introduce a new R18+ classification for computer games. The highest level of game classification currently available is M15+.
A discussion paper released yesterday looks at whether the R18+ classification, available for films, should be extended to video games.
In Manhunt players sneak up on enemy gang members, suffocating them with plastic bags and bashing them with baseball bats and crowbars. BMX XXX features topless female riders and video clips of strippers.
Other games censored in Australia, including Left for Dead II and Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas, could have scenes restored.
The discussion paper said: "Permitting R18+ level games would lead to more games at this level being available in Australia and consequently more minors being exposed to them."
But it said the current system prevented adults from buying material that would be available to them overseas.
"An argument for the introduction of an R18+ category is that adults, who represent the average computer gamer, should be able to access adult-level computer games," the paper said.
Home Affairs Minister Brendan O'Connor said the Government was not advocating one position or the other.
"We are releasing a discussion paper, rather than proposing a change, so we have an opportunity to gauge all community views on the subject,"' he said.
Australian Family Association spokesman John Morrissey said explicit computer games should not be allowed.
"How do you enforce it?" he said.
"An 18-year-old can buy the game and play it with his younger brother. You never know what happens once it's behind closed doors."

No mention of Atkinson's role in holding it back though. I'd be interested to see why he relented.

edit: and a link to a kotaku article

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:53 am

Post Re: What is this I see?
That last quote in the quote confused the hell out of me until I realised it was lol wordcensor.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:32 am
Profile WWW

What I love is how that "older person buying it" argument is only fair if they equally want to block R movies, books and music.

NANNY STATE

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:14 pm

There is no place in the questionaire where you can express that one, though...most of the negative arguments seem to apply equally to videogames as they do to other media, with videogames losing as as being more restricted due to being the new media.
I am intrigued by this idea that the interactivity of video games makes them more likely to affect the minds of players than a movie or a book. While this may be the case, the current rating system doesn't reflect this, it uses the same justification of classification for MA, M and PG for videogames as it does for movies, so to refuse to change the classification based on this argument is effectively to acknowledge that the current system must be flawed.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:27 pm
Profile WWW

There is a comments section at the bottom in which to express these things.

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm

Quote:
"An 18-year-old can buy the game and play it with his younger brother. You never know what happens once it's behind closed doors."

Whaaaat like cigarettes, alcohol and over the counter medication?

Christ.. just make the same penalty of supplying to a minor apply and bam... problem solved. Well, not solved because people always do this regardless but legislation straights will sleep sounder knowing that the potential threat of a fine will stop jimmy from playing GTA with his little brother.

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:15 am

I'm astonished that AVP3 was re-rated unedited and got M15. That's fucked.

Wont someone think of the children?

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:44 pm
Profile WWW

Simon -Furious- Cole wrote:
I'm astonished that AVP3 was re-rated unedited and got M15. That's intercourse.

Wont someone think of the children?

Probably had a cover letter saying 'you guys are being jerkbags thinking this is even remotely worth classification refusal..'

Shame Valve didnt do the same

Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:13 pm

More like this Mitchell

http://www.classification.gov.au/www/co ... iaReleases

Still a joke.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 pm

I like how the games most prominently mentioned are awful ones that no one cares about. (Manhunt, BMXXX or whatever that second one's called.)

Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:37 pm

manhunt was pretty good imo

Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:40 pm