It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:01 pm

CYOA: The Word (Text Only Due To Talentless) 

Post CYOA: The Word (Text Only Due To Talentless)
I want to try a Choose Your Own Adventure. Due to being talentless, it will be text only. Due to being a talentless hack, it will likely suck too.

Background
The year is 1940 on Bizarro-Earth. The European country Hulgory has transformed into a fanatical religious state based on a faith called 'The Word'. The leader of the faith and now head of state is Hubert Johns, a charismatic father-figure. The general public believe that it is their divine duty to bring 'The Word' to the whole world. They believe that this will be through peaceful means, but are increasingly willing to do it by force if they must.

The public history:

- In June 1937, a radical faction from traditional rival country Uldavia bombed several Word orphanages, killing and injuring hundreds. Uldavia refused to hand over the culprits protesting that the faction did not exist.

- In October 1938, this radical faction contested and won Uldavia's elections under the guise of the "People's Moderation Movement", on a platform of caution against "dangerous radical" religions such as The Word.

- In February 1939, the Hulgory religious centre Oksby was attacked by a 100-strong armed force. They destroyed the library, the great chapel, and many residential buildings with improvised explosives and automatic weapons. 1,347 were killed and some 514 injured in the attack.

- In March 1939, despite Uldavian denials Hulgory attacked Uldavia in reprisal for these "state-sponsored terrorist actions".

Current situation:

- Uldavia's neighbour and ally Arain is supporting it with troops and munitions.

- Hulgory's (The Word's) vassal states include small Verone and the city-state Prue.

- The regional power Horacnia (decadent and corrupt) is "monitoring" the conflict.

YOU are some bloke who is really pissed off by The Word and what it has done to your country, for some specific reason. You are out to see it fall and will stop at nothing to achieve this.

Choice 1: Choose your character.

You must select a character. Each of the three options has different stats. These are just to give you an idea of how good the characters would be at different choices you may select in the story. These are a guide only. There will possibly be situations where your best stat will not avail you and your worst is the best way out. They will also start with different gear and etcetera.

Farmer

A 52-year old farmer. Your farm is a good productive, but since the enlightenment the bulk of its produce has been taken for the war effort. Your daughter was recently arrested for sedition. You had not listened to what she had been saying, counselling her to do as you were and live out her days peacefully in relative comfort and safety. You have a number of new workers in addition to the old, and suspect a number of them could be keeping an eye on the place in case your daughter was not the only seditious agent, and your wife has just gone missing. You have a good balance of skills due to the variety of tasks a successful farmer must have knowledge of, though tending toward Utility.

Combat: 5
Persuasion: 4
Utility: 7

Gear: 300 credits, a rifle, miscellaneous farm tools/equipment.
Bonus: Rebel contacts.

Soldier

A veteran of the current conflict with neighbouring Uldavia. A highly trained commando, you were stranded behind the lines on your latest mission and wiped out a hidden command relay on your way back. You have committed your share of atrocities in the name of your faith, and these weigh heavily on your conscience. The intelligence you recovered from the destroyed command relay has made you question the propaganda you have been fed, giving you cause to despise yourself and a need to atone. You have recently been giving recruiting speeches (written by others) about your heroic exploits while you recuperate from an arm injury. You are on the last leg of this speaking tour, and aside from a slight twinge you are fully recovered. On returning home injured, you were notified that your wife was missing.

Combat: 8
Persuasion: 3
Utility: 5

Gear: Service revolver, uniform, Medal of Conspicuous Merit and other decorations, 100 credits.
Bonus: Rank (Sergeant), military contacts.

Preacher

A former believer and preacher of The Word, you are now a convert to the True Path after the death of your son at the hands of The Word made you realise the extent your brainwashing and culpability in that tragedy. Still maintaining your position within the heirarchy, you have been sent on a 'recuperation retreat' to your hometown for an unspecified period. You suspect you are being watched in order to establish if your devotion has wavered. You are a highly skilled propagandist and manipulator, but you lack combat and practical skills. A good friend of yours has just told you your wife has gone missing.

Combat: 3
Persuasion: 9
Utility: 4

Gear: Clerical robes, book of The Word, 1000 credits.
Bonus: Rank (Vicar), clerical/political contacts.

Please vote for your choice of character, and I will write some more if anyone is interested.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:35 am

Post Re: CYOA: The Word (Text Only Due To Talentless)
I'm confused...but I always pick the charismatic one. Hence, let there be preachers!

Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:02 pm
Profile WWW

Yay! Someone bothered to read my confusing slab of crud! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:04 pm

Having a wife rather complicates matters...but whatever....

Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:08 pm
Profile WWW

OH NOES WHERE IS ALL OUR WIVES GONE.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:35 pm

Preacher or Farmer gets my vote. I find utility to be more useful than talking at people.

Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:34 pm

FARMER. As long as we get a pitchfork. I want to find someone, accuse them of being a monster, and form a mob.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:39 pm

Holy crap I forgot I done this.

Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Put your hands up if you were surprised that Mark started something and didn't bother to finish it.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

Put your hands up if you were surprised that Simon saw the chance for unnecessary sniping and took it.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:41 pm

Put stats into post count

Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:05 pm
Profile WWW

Eh, it was pretty terrible anyway and didn't draw much interest.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:16 am

I'd say let this be a lesson to think before you post, but we all know that's never going to happen.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:44 am

Put your hands up in the air and wave them like you just don't care

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:14 pm

D'awwwww... I was all ready to put my hands up for Detroit.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:15 pm
Profile WWW